EMC? Safety? No need…sure?
You have designed a very nice and innovative product, it works perfectly, customer expectations are exceeded and massproduction will start in a few weeks.
Now is time for the certification.
“No problem will appear, let’s be optimistc” – I said to myself
Testing starts and then you receive a call from the Lab.
Wow, the device fails!
Why wasn’t it tested at early stage!? Why wasn’t I a bit more realistic! Hurry up, design engineers have to find out the root cause and urgently solve it!
Unluckily, the device has to be re-designed. Really bad scenario. Budget is exceeded and probably time-to-market lost.
Have you ever suffered from such a situation? EMC or safety related? We have performed testing on thousand of different devices. Half of all products under test fail at certification stage.
There are some basics you should consider as design/ development company:
- Do not assume that EMC and Safety tests will pass without testing. Experience says this is unlikely
- EMC and Safety requirements shall be included in project specifications. If not, ask for it.
- EMC and Safety standards shall be available for designers. Designers shall be aware of compliance requirements and consider any relevant requirement which may impact in the design.
- Establish your own compliance targets for each design milestone. It will help you to improve from the beginning.
- Up to two loops of partial testing may be required previous to certification tests. Keep a budget for this.
- EMC and Electrical Safety compliance are mandatory requirements for most markets. If you are thinking in a worldwide device, start with EU and USA EMC/Safety requirements. Complying with the requirements of these markets, you have the 90% done and,
We encourage you to perform pre-compliance testing at early design stage as part of product development. EMC and Electrical Safety testing shall be part of the project from the beginning. It will save time and cost, and will help you to reduce the failing at certification tests.
Find the most appropiate partner for testing services.
It’s really worth the investment.
DAVID ORTIZ – Compliance Manager
We certify your dreams